Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Halfway There!

Monday, February 6: "I don't think Baby Bear is happy with the current sleeping and playing arrangements."


Week 20 Update

(20 weeks!)

We made it to the halfway mark!!  I cannot believe how fast everything is flying by.  Our little man will be here before we know it.  This week Baby Bear made it clear that he does not have enough room to play in my tummy now that he is a big boy.  If my stomach doesn't grow a little more, we may be in trouble!

Week 21 Update

(21 weeks!)

It was only a matter of time before I was hit by the dreaded baby blues...and this was that unfortunate week.  Week 21 was really rough for me (and consequently those around me - sorry Chris and Finn!).  I felt incredibly overwhelmed by everything, especially planning the nursery.  I have dreamed about decorating this precious room for months and the thought of it not being perfect had me in tears almost every waking moment.  What if I choose the wrong paint color?  What if the furniture is too big or I hate it once it is all set up?  What if the decor doesn't match the rest of the room?  And while I realize the little guy will not know the difference and Chris would be just as happy throwing in a crib and calling it a day, I just can't imagine not turning it into a calming and beautiful retreat.

In addition to my nursery woes, I started feeling extremely anxious for my upcoming appointment.  Over the week, I noticed some unsettling symptoms and worried myself sick over not feeling the baby kick.  Every book or journal I read told me I should be feeling a TON of movement by 21 weeks and here I was hands on my stomach every night, eyes closed tight, and praying with all my heart to feel something.  Anything.  By the time I reached the end of the week, I had made myself so sick that I finally called the doctor.  They requested that I come in and see the doctor on call who confirmed the baby is doing just fine, but I had an infection (nothing a little medicine couldn't fix).

There was one bright moment this week, though.  Chris and I purchased Baby Bear's first hospital outfit!  Just like his name, we are keeping this adorable part of his wardrobe under lock and key.  I will tell you, though, that the onesie came from a local boutique maternity store and his hat was from Etsy.  Just like the rest of the week, I was in tears when it all arrived.  Happy tears this time :)

Week 22 Update


(Week 22!)

This was the week leading up to our babymoon in Chicago!  Which meant work was crazy and we were way behind on packing.  In addition to my last-minute visit to the doctor for the infection, I had another previously scheduled appointment the day before we left town.  My doctor confirmed everything still looked great and the baby's heartbeat was as strong as ever.  While laying on the table listening to the pitter patter of his little heart, the doctor jumped and said, "Did you feel that?"  "Umm, no."  As I started to explain that I still hadn't felt anything yet, she interrupted and said, "Did you feel that?"  Again I answered "no."  I think she asked me another five or six times before she finally let out a sigh and said, "Well, I'm not sure how you aren't feeling anything because this baby is moving like crazy!"  Little did either of us know that I was only a couple days away from experiencing one of the most miraculous moments of motherhood.  

"Your top job as a new parent is to love your baby like crazy." - Harvey Karp, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment