Monday, March 19, 2012

Bargaining with God

Friday, March 9: "It's perfect, just perfect!"


Week 24 Update


(6 months!)

We made it to 6 months!!  Only four more to go until this little peanut's due date.  So, what does this new milestone mean? 
  1. I am never sleeping again.  Now that this bump is plumping up and out and I have a squirmy little one in tow, sleeping is no longer an option.  Time to start preparing my body for the many sleepless nights ahead.
  2. I miss the days I could walk Finley without feeling like I'm going into labor.  Six months pregnant and walking being dragged by a wound up one-year-old puppy does not work well, for either of us.  I think we might need to rethink our nightly ritual for the next few months.
  3. Bring on the waterworks.  Walking into the nursery: tears.  Reading storybooks at bedtime: tears. Daydreaming about rocking this little guy to sleep, chasing him throughout the house, and emptying his pockets of worms and icky bugs: tears, tears, and more tears.  You name it, I've cried about it and I don't think these wells will be drying up anytime soon.  
Week 25 Update

(25.7 weeks!)

My Mini Reflection
Being pregnant has a strange way of taking all of your normal, everyday thoughts and turning them into crazy unrealistic fears and feelings of guilt.  One of these battles that I have struggled with for years and have spent hours upon hours asking God to help me understand is why I (of all the truly deserving people in this world) have been given this incredibly rewarding life.  Lately, this battle has become a full-fledged "why do I deserve to have such an easy pregnancy when there are women who struggle everyday with unbearable morning sickness, backache, and other not-so-fun pregnancy symptoms" war.  While I am eternally grateful for all of the blessings I have been given, some days I feel so overwhelmed with guilt that I try to make deals with the big man upstairs.  "God, if you could just lessen the load for one mama-to-be for a day I would gladly take on what she is experiencing."  I realize this probably sounds crazy (and some days - especially the really, really good ones - I'm right there with ya), but now that I am getting closer to the end I think about it almost daily.  Come week 25, I think God finally opened my email and gave in.

Sciatica
You want misery, you got it!  Toward the end of week 24, little Baby Bear shifted his weight and chose to rest directly on my sciatic nerve.  At first, I just thought I might be experiencing a little back pain.  Nothing I couldn't handle and a symptom I knew I should start to expect in these final months.  Over the course of a couple days, though, I went from slight pain when bending down to the inability to get out of bed, sit up, or get dressed without being in severe pain.  Unfortunately there was not too much the doctor or I could do to help suppress the pain (heating pads, cold compresses, lay on opposite side of pain).  Ultimately, I just needed to wait it out and pray that the baby would shift again.  Thanks to a super awesome husband who stayed home from work to help walk me to the bathroom (something I don't think he envisioned doing for another 60+ years), the pain subsided around day 6 and had completely disappeared by day 8.

Baby Furniture
Oddly enough, the pain started to diminish just around the time our baby furniture arrived!!!!  On Thursday afternoon, two large boxes were delivered.  One with the crib and the other with the changing table.  Of course I absolutely could not wait until Chris got home from work and decided to take a stab at assembling the changing table myself.  I mean, how hard could it really be?

 
Three hours later...


A beautiful changing table!  Needless to say, I waited until Chris got home Friday night to help with the crib.


I cannot even begin to explain how much I love the nursery and how often I find myself slipping away from my desk to sit and take it all in!  I hope this little guy loves it just as much as his mommy and daddy.  We love you, sweet baby, and can't wait to welcome you into your new home!

"I love being pregnant and feeling the kicks, rolls, and hiccups. But I can't wait to see what our baby will look like. Nine months is much too long to wait!" - Irene Mangae

No comments:

Post a Comment