Thursday, February 2, 2012

It's a...BOY!!!

Wednesday, January 18: "I'm so happy for you."

Week 18 Update

My Sweet Baby Boy,

Since I am sure you will ask many years from now what happened the day we found out you were a little man (when mommy and daddy's memories have long become fuzzy), let me walk you through one of the most exciting and highly anticipated days of our lives.  
We scheduled your anatomy ultrasound back in November, which meant we had butterflies in our tummies the entire seven weeks leading up to your appointment. To help pass the time (and have a little fun) we polled our family and friends and even tried out some of those silly old wives' tales to determine what you were.  Nearly everyone we asked guessed you were a little girl (leaving Daddy scratching his head since he was the one responsible for your sex).  As for the old wives' tales, here was the breakdown:

    • Chinese Calendar: Girl
    • Mayan Calendar: Boy
    • Baby Gender Prediction (based on mommy's DOB/month of conception): Girl
    • BabyZone Predictor Quiz: Girl
    • Old Wives' Tale Quiz: Girl
    • Carrying Low: Boy
    • Heart Rate (140+): Girl
    • Sour Cravings: Boy
    • Skin: Boy
    • Dangling Wedding Ring on String over Tummy: Boy
    • Lack of Morning Sickness: Boy
Girl: 5, Boy: 6.  Those Mayans were on to something :)  What about Mommy and Daddy, though?  Well, of course I knew you were a boy from the very beginning (Mommy is always right, don't ever forget that).  And while Daddy hoped for a little man, the closer and closer we got to the appointment the more he started feeling you were probably a little girl.  
After nearly two months of guessing, I decided I wanted to wait until you were born to find out.  Just kidding!  Wednesday, January 18 was finally here!!  I didn't sleep a wink the night before and couldn't stop smiling and talking a mile a minute on the way to the office with Daddy.  Our appointment was scheduled for 10 a.m., which meant I sat at my computer staring at the screen and tapping my feet until Daddy picked me up at 9:30 to drive to the doctor.  
We arrived at the doctor's office hand-in-hand and full of jitters.  The ultrasound technician walked us back to the room, where I laid on the table and Daddy stood next to me grasping my hand.  When the technician brought you up on the screen, our mouths fell open.  You had grown so much since the last time we saw you in November!
You wiggled around, thrashing your arms and legs.  We couldn't stop laughing at how active you were! The technician found your legs after a couple minutes, but this was the only picture you would give her...
Yep, that is your foot.  You little stinker!  After a few more attempts, something caught our eyes.  Daddy and I stayed quiet because we weren't sure if we were reading the screen correctly.  After a few more flashes, though, the technician looked over at us and said, "It's a boy!"
Daddy squeezed my hand and his smile stretched across his face.  That's when I said the first thing that came to my mind, "I'm so happy for you!"  Both Daddy and the technician turned and looked at me with eyes wide open.  Oops!  Of course I was absolutely thrilled and full of joy, but remember Mama knew you were a sweet baby boy since the very beginning so I was not surprised when she confirmed my suspicion. And I knew Daddy was really hoping for a little man after all.
The technician confirmed you were healthy as can be and Mommy was doing great, too.  We even had another chuckle when we saw your cute little button nose, already taking after Daddy!
The rest of the week was full of phone calls, text messages, and emails sharing the wonderful news with our family and friends!  
Although Mommy doesn't know the first thing about raising a little boy, I cannot wait for the adventure that lies ahead.  You are perfect and I love you so much, my sweet baby boy.  I can't wait to meet you!

"My husband was happy and ready to take on the new experience, so that made it easier for me to deal with my apprehensions. A supportive spouse helps more than you can imagine." - Cassandra Bell

1 comment:

  1. I had to hold back tears reading this...so awesome. I am soooo happy for you guys. How exciting :)

    ReplyDelete